Funding & Prerequisites
Adventist Health System provides funding for the MDiv/CPE program. During Phase I (first year) Florida Hospital is the employer of MDiv/CPE students on behalf of AHS. Subsequent years through the successful completion of the program, the Florida Conference of SDA is the employer of MDiv/CPE students on behalf of AHS. Salary is based on the North American Division Ministerial Internship pay scale.
The cost of travel, books and tuition required for the MDiv/CPE program is covered by AHS. Assistance in finding housing in the Orlando area is available from Florida Hospital.
Each year the group chosen to participate is designed to promote diversity in the learning environment. The criteria for acceptance includes readiness for pastoral learning, previous professional or lay ministry experience, ecclesiastical support, openness to religious and cultural diversity and ability to minister in crises.
Students seeking admission into the Master of Divinity/Clinical Pastoral Education (MDiv/CPE) program must meet the following criteria:
- Graduate of an Adventist college/university with a BA in religion, theology, or related degree program within the AHS territories
- Must be a legal resident of the USA
- Ability to articulate a personal experience of call to pastoral ministry in the hospital setting
- Commitment to theological learning and pastoral formation through experiential, academic and personal exploration
- Resolve to excel in spiritual, personal and professional growth
- Complete a minimum of 30 hours of pastoral volunteering in a hospital or healthcare setting, with certification of completion of hours and recommendation from a Chaplain overseeing volunteer experience
- Completion of an application for MDiv/CPE program
- Meet the entrance requirements of the Andrews University Theological Seminary
- Meet applicable Biblical language requirements in both Greek and Hebrew
- Eligibility for employment by a sponsoring Adventist Health System facility
- Eligibility for employment with the Florida Conference of Seventh-day Adventists
- Willingness to relocate to different parts of the country throughout the course of the program